Apple Mint known as Mentha Suaveolens in scientific terms is a herbal plant. Some of the common names are Woolly Mint, Round leafed mint, pineapple mint. The height of the plant normally attained is about 2feets (0.60meters) and the size of leaves is normally 3cm to 5cm. It is found in Southern and Western Europe with the Mediterranean region included. The plant flowers in late summers and adds a fruity and minty flavor aroma.
With a wide variety of applicability, the plant can be utilized commercially also:
1.It has antiseptic properties and many other health benefits like improves digestion, reduces fever, headache, digestive disorders. From the leaves, Oil is extracted and used for aromatherapy to heal cramps, shock colds, flu, acne, asthma, stress, and also travel sickness in some cases.
2. The crushed leaves of the plant are believed to relieve wasp stings, bee stings, and other insect bites. It brings relief by providing cooling in the affected part.
3.Being rich in Nutrients and Minerals like Iron, Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C, is used in medicines in many parts of the world like Africa, Asia, Europe, and America.
4. Used in making Ice Tea, Jelly, and Mint tea. Some alcoholic drinks have a pinch of apple mint.
5. The nominal content of VitaminB2 act as antioxidants and eliminate the chances of formation of cancer cells in the colon and rectal.
6. Commercial utilization involves usage in Breath Fresheners, Toothpaste, Chewing gums, Candles, and Mint chocolates.
7. When mixed with Camper, can be used to produce Mosquito Repellant.
8. These can also be used as salads and in cooked foods to add essence.
9. It may also be used to add flavor to syrup and ice cream.
10. Various recipes using mint leaves are also popular in many countries of the world.
11. At some places, medicinal tea is prepared with apple mint leaves to treat inflamed gums.
Just like any other herb, apple mint has some side effects also if not taken care of such as Nausea and Vomiting, Dry Mouth, Heartburn, Diarrhea, Rashes, Itchiness, and Swelling.
Some major side effects are also observed which rise a need to be very attentive bout the changes:
1.Reduction in Breast Milk supply
Mint causes a reduction in blood flow and nerve senses, in which breasts in females are also included. Following this, the production of milk gets slow in lactating women. It has also been observed that the supply of breast milk dries out and this becomes a very big problem for women already suffering from a lack of breast milk production. So, it is advised to avoid mint for women who are breastfeeding.
If unaware of the allergy, one may suffer skin irritation and allergies inside the mouth or on the outer skin. Swollen tongue, throats, or lips are also observed in some cases including abdominal pain.
3.Risk for pregnant women
Pregnant women are strictly advised not to take mint as it may lead to abortion. When taking in bigger doses, prove to be highly toxic.
Note: Asthma patients are also advised not to take mint as it may lead to shortening of breath. Muscle, tremors, Cramps are also some of the commonly observed side effects, if occur.
One needs to be cautious about the dosage and amount of consumption of apple mint. The time and form of consumption also play a vital role in staying unaffected by the mint.
For cultivation of Apple Mint, precautions are:
Apart from these how bouts of the plant, some facts should also be known making the utilization of the herb easier.