Ayurveda is something that is the magical stick for getting rid of health issues and staying fit. Those who prefer ayurvedic medicines will agree on calling it a treasure of love. Talking about Ashwagandha and Ginseng, these two are very popular ayurvedic medicines from ancient times. Indian Ginseng which is also called Ashwagandha is used as an important herb. Another Ginseng called Panax Ginseng is also used a lot. To know more about these two, we need to dig in more information by reading below.
10 Differences Between Ashwagandha And Ginseng
There are various herbs that are very popular medicinal plants in Ayurveda used across the world. Even though both Ashwagandha and Ginseng have almost similar benefits but they also have some differences. Both Ashwagandha and Ginseng have properties that make them different from each other. Many people get confused between the two. So, let us see the difference between the two:
- Ashwagandha which is also known as Withania Somnifera is also referred to as the Indian Ginseng. Panax Ginseng is also known as Korean Ginseng or Asian Ginseng.
- Ashwagandha is used for a longer time but Korean Ginseng is used for a shorter time.
- Ashwagandha is used to enhance immunity, whereas Korean Ginseng is helpful for maintaining heart health and blood circulation.
- Ashwagandha is difficult to grow as it requires a different type of tropical soil but Korean Ginseng is grown easily.
- Ashwagandha is more effective to relieve stress and has anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties, whereas Korean Ginseng reduces stress but not up to that extent.
- Ashwagandha is not related to the Ginseng family but Korean Ginseng is related to the Ginseng family.
- Ashwagandha is used to alleviate general ailments mainly in old age, whereas Korean Ginseng is used to alleviate fatigue.
- Ashwagandha is itself a plant but Korean Ginseng comes from the plant Panax.
- Ashwagandha is mainly used to relieve stress but Korean Ginseng is for boosting energy.
- Ashwagandha is better if talked about in terms of getting rid of cancer as it has more anti-cancer properties, but Korean Ginseng has fewer properties to prevent cancer.
Ashwagandha or Indian Ginseng also called Withania Somnifera is mainly used to relieve stress. Ashwagandha is also called winter cherry. The word Somnifera in Latin means "Sleep inducer" which means to reduce stress and enhance sleep. Ashwagandha helps to lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and calming the brain to make the person feel relaxed. There are various benefits of Ashwagandha.
- It is used as a medicinal herb: Ashwagandha was used as ayurvedic medicine in the old times. It has a lot of benefits for the human body. Not only it reduces stress but also provides energy, enhances immunity, prevents cancer, and many others.
- Help relieve stress: It is believed that Ashwagandha helps to reduce stress and calms the brain. Stress is one major problem in today's times and it comes with various side effects on the human body. So, Ashwagandha is also important in today's time as well to help lead a better life.
- Lower blood sugar levels: Various researches suggest that Ashwagandha helps to reduce blood sugar levels as it can alleviate insulin secretion and sensitivity.
- Anticancer Properties: Ashwagandha is said to prevent cancer because t has anti-cancer properties because it has a compound named withaferin which helps in the death of cancerous cells.
- Boosts Sexual life: Ashwagandha is believed to enhance sex life in those who are facing some issues. It helps improve the loss of libido and also increases the production of testosterone. It is also a treatment for erectile dysfunction. As it helps in increased production of cortisol, hence, reducing stress will also help in enhanced sexual life.
- Some other benefits: It is believed that Ashwagandha helps in Arthritis pain, Parkinson's as it helps in body balance and improves nerve cell functioning.
You can take Ashwagandha as a powder, or raw, tablets, or add it to your tea.
Consult your doctor if you are planning to take Ashwagandha during pregnancy, during abdominal pain, Kidney issues, or if you consume alcohol as it can also have side effects.
Korean Ginseng or Asian Ginseng also called Panax Ginseng helps to improve immunity. In this time of the pandemic, Korean Ginseng is something that can help to fight off infection. It has some benefits like:
- It helps reduce swelling: Korean Ginseng has anti-inflammatory properties because of its ginsenoside compound.
- Enhances Function of the brain: Ginseng helps to improve the function of the brain like thinking, memory, and problem-solving. It also helps in enhancing mood. It is also found that Ginseng is helpful in patients with Alzheimer's.
- Help treat erectile dysfunction: According to various studies, it is found that Ginseng has nitric oxide which helps in the relaxation of muscles in the penis and improving the issue of erectile dysfunction.
- Improves immune system: Various studies have been done on cancer patients on giving them Ginseng and it has been seen that it increases the immune system. It helps in preventing many infectious diseases and improves overall health.
- Reduces tiredness: Ginseng helps provide energy and reduces fatigue. Korean Ginseng helps to produce energy in the cells which in turn relaxes the body mentally and physically.
You can consume Ginseng in the raw form or boil it to make it soft to consume. You can also add it to your soup, salad, or tea.
If you are suffering from some bleeding issues, then do not consume Korean Ginseng. If you have any kind of auto-immune problem, then refrain from consuming Korean Ginseng.